There is a clinic from a town in Nairobi that comes to Kitale every few months to check up on kids with a wide range of disabilities. They send out their doctors from Cure Hospital and are specialized in treating hydrocephalus, spina bifida and other orthopedic problems.
Today we took Trina, Dinah and Allan for their checkups. Allan and Trina both have cerebral palsy and need operations to lengthen their Achilles tendons so that they are able to put their feet flat on the ground instead of only being able to stand on their tip toes. Trina has hemiplegic cerebral palsy so only her right side is affected. Both of Allan’s legs are affected so he will need an operation on both feet, which will hopefully give him the ability to start walking.
Dinah has hydrocephalus and spina bifida. Her shunt was placed at the hospital where she was abandoned, but her spine has not yet been corrected. So we took her to get her back looked at so that we can schedule a date for her surgery. After the doctor asked a few questions about Dinah’s health and examined her head, they told us that the shunt isn’t working properly. If the shunt isn’t working properly, all of the symptoms and complications that come with hydrocephalus will slowly come back. So they told us to head to the Cure Hospital next Wednesday to have her examined and so that they can correct the problems with her shunt as soon as possible before any additional problems arise.
After having lots of experience with doctors in Kenya not being correct with their initial diagnoses, I decided it would be best if we made the drive out to Eldoret today to have Dinah checked by the doctor that started treating her when she was a baby. She has a regular clinic that she goes to every few months at Moi Referral Hospital, so we called the social worker that we worked with and they squeezed us in for an appointment. While waiting for the blood work and the doctor to show up, we went and visited Dinah’s old friends from the hospital. Everyone was so happy to see her and glad that she is doing great in her new home.
The neurosurgeon checked her out and said that he also suspects that the shunt isn’t working so we will head out to Kijabe next week to start off with a CT scan and see what they tell us to say next. Please pray for Dinah and that the doctors will make things more clear so that we know what the next step for Dinah will be and for healing on her little body.